A French regulatory agency would like to see automakers like PSA Peugeot Citroen and Renault SA open up their domination of parts supply, to . Carmakers “have a veritable legal monopoly on more than 70 percent of the sales of parts, and a duopoly with parts makers on the remaining 30 percent” of the market for visible parts — such as mirrors, lights, and bumpers, according to France’s agency and its study. Carmakers should also clarify warranty contracts regarding whether owners can service their cars outside the manufacturer’s own repair network without jeopardizing their coverage, the regulator said.
As French automakers face declining new vehicle sales, they’re relying more on parts and service revenue, and they generate more profit from repair and maintenance than car sales, according to the study. Automotive trade groups didn’t care for the study very much, and criticized it for being erroneous and unrealistic in its recommendations that wouldn’t bring benefits to consumers, and that would gravely injure the French auto industry, business, and employment.