By Nancy Liberman
Earlier this year, MarketingSherpa released the 2nd Edition of their Email Marketing Handbook, an in-depth research guide to help improve your email marketing strategy. As a sponsor of this handbook, we have pulled together what we, at IMN, feel are the top 10 tips we learned below.
1. 73% of companies recognize that email produces, or will product ROI and as such, are increasing their budgets.
2. CMOs indicate that email marketing is most effective at achieving the following business objectives: completing post-sales transactions (41%), nurturing prospects (31%), driving website traffic (27%) and building brand awareness (27%).
3. The DMA reported that for every dollar spent on email marketing in 2011, $40.56 was returned; compare this with a $22.24 return on search investment, $19.72 on Internet display ads and $10.51 on mobile.
4. Marketing budgets are shifting from outbound to inbound marketing models with inbound budgets — for websites, social media, search, email — increasing by more than 40%.
5. 74% of organizations leverage email to nurture stronger relationships.
6. Seven out of ten marketers don’t have the means to measure ROI.
7. Leverage social media to attract new subscribers to your email list by posting a link to your newsletter on all of your social outlets.
8. Scrub your list regularly to keep subscribers engaged — eliminate duplicates, remove bad email addresses.
9. Manage your sender reputation with your ISP to ensure your messages make it through to the inbox.
10.CAN-SPAM requires that any opt outs or unsubscribe requests are attended to within 10 days. The best practice is to remove the name within 24 hours of receipt.
Nancy Liberman, Chief Marketing Officer at IMN can be reached at [email protected].