General Motors expanded a recall for faulty ignition switches in some 2003–2007 vehicles.
The total affected number of vehicles is now about 1.37 million.
- Four models have been added to the recall and the number of fatalities involved more than doubled from 6 to 13.
- 2003–2007 Saturn Ions, 2006–2007 Chevrolet HHRs, and 2006–2007 Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky models.
- Heavy key rings, going off road or “some other jarring event” may cause the affected ignition switches to “inadvertently be moved out of the ‘run’ position”
- Air bags are not deployed in crashes.
- GM will send written notification, use customer care centers and social media to inform buyers about the recall.
- Customers won’t be charged for repairs to the vehicles involved and that dealers will replace ignition switches.